Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 is a low-quality Android smartphone, which comes with a 3-inch capacitive touchscreen display powered by 600 MHz processor alongside a 168 MB RAM. The device runs on Android 1.6 (Donut) and it is upgradable to Android 2.1 Eclair. This is one of the low-quality Xperia smartphones released by Sony Ericsson, and it comes with a 3.15 mega pixel camera.
If you own this device and looking for a way to improve its performance, then you should root your smartphone as it will allow you to install custom ROM firmware of your choice, or install customized Android applications which only supports rooted devices, or to remove the unwanted pre-installed applications in your smartphone, etc. If you are not sure how to do, well you are in the right place. Here, I have given a step by step tutorial to root Sony Xperia X8 Android smartphone. Also, learn how to install xRecovery custom recovery in your device.
WARNING: Rooting your Sony Ericsson smartphone will void its warranty. Also, sometimes rooting your device might get it bricked. So, if anything occurs to your smartphone, don’t held me responsible. Proceed with this tutorial at your own wish.
1) The following rooting procedure is not a data-loss process, but it won’t hurt to have a backup. So, take backup of personal data’s using apps like Helium.
2) Enable USB Debugging mode in your smartphone by visiting this path: Settings -> Applications -> USB Debugging (tick on the box to enable it). Also, enable “Unknown Sources” in your device by following this path: Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources.
3) Next, download Sony Xperia X8 USB drivers and install in your computer, so that you can connect your smartphone with the computer successfully.
Once you have finished these prerequisites, you can move forward to the main rooting tutorial given below.
Tutorial To Root Sony Xperia X8 Device:
1) To get started, download SuperOneClick rooting tool and save it in your computer. Once done, extract the files in rooting tool zip package in a folder.
2) Next, connect your Sony smartphone to the computer. While doing so, don’t mount your device.
3) Now, launch SuperOneClick in your computer. Once done, click on the “Root” option. You will see the following warning message “not successful – is your phone software higher than 2.0?” and asking for you to click “yes” or “no.” Click “yes“.
4) Now you will see that your device is successfully rooted message, and you will have SuperUser application installed in your Xperia X8. Once you have seen that, reboot your smartphone.
That’s it. Now you have successfully rooted your Sony Xperia X8 Android smartphone. Let’s find out how to install custom recovery in your device so that you can install custom ROM firmware, etc.
Tutorial To Install Custom Recovery In Sony Xperia X8:
1) To get started, download xRecovery v0.1 zip package and Root Explorer apk to your computer. Once done, extract the xRecovery zip package that contains these files “busybox, chargemon and xrecovery.tar” into a folder and name it as “xRecovery“.
2) Next, install Astro File Manager in your smartphone from Google Play store. Now, connect your smartphone to the computer again but while doing so, mount your device.
3) Now, copy the xRecovery folder and Root Explorer to your device’s SD card. Once done, disconnect your smartphone from the computer.
4) Next, open Astro File Manager and install Root Explorer. Once the installation is finished, launch “Root Explorer” application in your device.
5) Now, follow this path to get to the xRecovery folder in your SD card: /sdcard -> xRecovery folder. Once done, select all three files in the folder and copy them.
6) Next, click on parent folder twice. Now, you will see some options. In that, select “Click To Access” followed by “System.” Once done, select “Click To Access” followed by “Bin” and then go to “Mount R/W” and press “Paste.”
7) Now, transfer all the three xRecovery files from xRecovery folder to “/system/bin” folder. Now, you can access xRecovery by selecting the back button twice while your device is booting up.
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed xRecovery custom recovery in your Sony Xperia X8 smartphone. If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, drop in a comment below.