Karbonn A18 is a quality Android smartphone which comes with a 1000 Mhz processor supported by 1GB RAM, a 4.3 IPS LCD touchscreen display, a 5 mega pixel camera for taking high-quality pictures and it runs on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. If you own this device and would like to root, well don’t worry. It is prerooted. So just install a SuperSU or SuperUser app and you will have root access.
Now, if you would want to install custom ROM firmware for Karbonn A18, then you will need to install CWM recovery first. Here, I have given a full working tutorial for installing ClockWork Mod (CWM) Recovery on Karbonn A18 smartphone.
WARNING: The procedure given here is tested and it is working. Still, I can’t give any guarantees that nothing wrong will happen. So, if anything happens to your device by following this tutorial, don’t held me responsible. Proceed at your own will.
1) This procedure will wipe out all your personal data in the smartphone. So take the complete backup of all the data by following these tutorials: How To Backup The SMS, MMS And Call Logs to Gmail & How To Sync The Android Contacts With Gmail Account.
2) Ensure that your device has a good battery backup because if your phone gets switched off during the process, then it will surely get bricked.
3) Download Karbonn USB Driver based on your smartphone model and install it on the computer, so that you can connect the Karbonn device with the PC.
Once you have done these prerequisites, it’s time to move on to the main tutorial.
Tutorial To Install CWM Recovery On Karbonn A18:
1) To get started, download CWM recovery image, SP Flash Tool, MTK6575 Driver and MTK6575 Scatter file to your computer. Once done, extract the MTK6575 Driver and run the setup.exe. Now, connect your smartphone without its battery to the computer and let Windows install the required MTK drivers. Once the installation is completed, disconnect your device from the computer and put the battery back into it.
2) Next, rename the download CWM recovery image to “recovery.img”. Once done, extract the SP Flash tool zip file and install it on your computer. Once installed, open it and in options, select USB Mode.
3) Now, press the Scatter-loading button in the SP Flash tool and select the download MTK6575 Scatter file. Once you are done this, the flash tool will automatically add details to all the entries in the window. You will also see a box (which will be checked by default) next to the entries. Now uncheck all the boxes except for the entry “Recovery”.
4) Now click the “Recovery” entry and select the “recovery.img” file (Step 2). Once done, press the F9 button on your keyboard. You will see some warning messages. Just ignore them and wait for the status bar to show “Searching”.
5) Once you see the “Searching” message, connect your phone to the computer (the phone should be switched off with the battery in it). The flash tool will start installing the recovery image and during the process, you will see a “Red progress bar,” a count down, again a progress bar in Yellow and at least a green circle in the flash tool Window.
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed CWM Recovery on Karbonn A18. Now to check whether the installation is successful or not, disconnect your device from the computer and switch it by pressing the Power and Volume Down button. If the installation is successful, you will see your device booting into the CWM recovery mode.
If you encounter any issues while following this tutorial, do let me know via comments.