How To Install Android 4.4.4 Kitkat On Xiaomi Redmi 1S

Xiaomi Redmi 1S is the cheapest high-end Android smartphone in the market. It comes with a high quality Quad Core processor which clocks at 1.6 Ghz and it runs of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. If you want to install Android Kitkat 4.4 firmware on your Redmi 1S smartphone, you can do it with the help of CyanogenMod ROM.

Here, I have given the simple instructions to install latest Kitkat 4.4.4 Firmware by using CyanogenMod ROM on your Redmi 1S device easily.

WARNING: Follow the given below procedure at your own will. We should not be held liable for any damage occurs to your device while following this tutorial.

Install Android 4.4.4 Kitkat On Xiaomi Redmi 1S

1. Before trying this tutorial, you have to root your Xiaomi Redmi 1S device and then install TWRP Recovery so that you can perform the firmware update process.
  2. Then, you have to take backup of data’s and stuffs on your smartphone. Flashing a new firmware will always result in the loss of data. So, keeping a backup is good and it will help you to restore the data later.
  3. Next, Check the battery percentage level of your device and make sure that it is 75% or above, so that you will never face any issues while carrying out the update process.

After completing these prerequisites, you can move on to the main tutorial which has been given below.

Tutorial to Install Android 4.4.4 Kitkat On Xiaomi Redmi 1S:

1. To begin, you have to download CyanogenMod ROM and Google apps package (GAPPs package) on your computer. Once done, connect your smartphone to the computer and transfer these two downloaded files to the SD card (do the transfer without extracting the download packages).

Redmi 1S TWRP Recovery

1. Once done, you have to boot your device into the TWRP recovery mode. To do this, press the Volume up button and Power button at the same time until your device enter into the Recovery mode.
  2. Now, in the recovery menu, go to the install option and then choose the CyanogenMod ROM package in your SD Card. The ROM will be installed. After that, you have to go to Wipe option and then execute the basic wipe. Don’t do Advanced Wipe or Factory Reset.
  3. Once done, you have to install the GAPPs package in same way you have installed CyanogenMod ROM and then do another basic wipe. Next, reboot your device. Since a new ROM has been installed, the first boot will always take some time. So, don’t panic! Just be patient until your device boots normally.
  4. That’s it! You have successfully installed Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware on your Redmi 1S smartphone by using the CyanogenMod ROM.

Screenshots:

Xiaomi Redmi 1S Android Kitkat

Redmi 1S Android 4.4.4 CyanogenMod ROM

Redmi 1S Kitkat Update Using CyanogenMod

If you have any doubts or any queries about this tutorial, then tell me here via comments.

Comments

1. If I don’t install twrp recovery and install CyanogenMod ROM then could I revert in redmi 1s miui v5

2. As long as you have a recovery option (all device’s has stock recovery), you will be able to restore to MIUI.

3. can u mail me the link to download the android kitkat for redmi 1s

4. It’s given in here.

5. Hi I installed the cynogenmod but it is giving problem while installing Gaaps

6. I have installed the Cyanogenmod 11 ROM on Redmi 1s. I can see the signal for two sims on the status bar, but the dialer is using the first sim by default for making the calls and also the same case with messages. There is no option to choose the second sim anywhere. Also there is no multi-sim-settings option in the setting menu. Please help me with this issue.

7. Hi ajay,
    Try with different g apps package. That gapps release date must be lower than the custom ROM release date. If it u get status 7 error while installing, then try later version of recovery.

8. Srikanth N says:

For me also same problem as Ajay.
    I installed the cynogenmod but it is giving problem while installing Gaaps.

9. Basudev Mahato says:

how to uninstall the kitkat version in redmi 1s and reinstall the original official version (jellybean)

The original official version which comes with Redmi 1S is MIUI ROM. If you want to get back to that ROM, then you can do it easily. Just follow the same procedure given here: http://www.androidrootguide.com/2014/11/install-miui-6-xiaomi-mi3-android-phone.html but get the MIUI rom from MIUI communities.

11. Tanmaya Kumar Mishra says:

which kernel is best for redmi 1s and how to change this kernel in redmi1s?

12. MIUI ROM is the best out there. So I don’t think that you will need to change your firmware. But if you really want to change, then go for this Cyanogen MOD ROM.

13. Shreejesh says:

Hi Sathish,

I started this install but unfortunately I am still in cynogenmod install screen for last 12 hours. Does that sound like a problem with my phone ? After a long wait I tried to switch off the phone but it restarted the install again. How can I go back to MIUI if this doesn’t work ? Is there a chance for this to get completed as per your past experience ?

Thanks,
    Shreejesh

You can flash the MIUI ROM in the same way you did for CM. Get the supported MIUI ROM for your device from en.miui.com!

15. Avinash Singh says:

hello sir , i want to know after update how can i install apps from the backup file …

16. I have to put Indian rom in my redmi 1s. And don’t want to loose apps and data on my phone. So what should I do? How do backup my apps and data. Please email me the process as soon as possible.i don’t want to loose a single thing. I have to backup all the things. As I have to reset my phone after I put Indian rom in it. So I have to backup my apps and data.

17. Hi, what Indian ROM are you talking about? I don’t understand what would you like to get from here. Please explain clearly.

18. Srikanth Nagula says:

When I open Menu in CM11 (redmi 1s) the app background is enabled. So I want the wall paper as my background.

Regards,
    Sri.

19. hello, what is the advantages to get into cm11 than miui

20. Well, it depends upon you. If you don’t like the UI of MIUI and want to get a stock Android experience, then installing CM11 will help.

21. how can i find basic wipe option i tried to find but there was nothing other than “advanced wipe” & “format data” or “swipe to factory reset”.

22. Thanx, successfully installed cm11 on my redmi 1s without any issues.

23. Hi Ajay,

Use the advanced Wipe option. It won’t cause any errors.

24. You are welcome!

25. Is memory card should show….

26. prabhu teja says:

How to downgrade redmi 1s from kitkat to jellybean….. And also to miui ROM….. Please I don’t like those

27. Follow the same procedure. But instead of using cyanogenMod ROM, download and use the MIUI ROM from here: http://en.miui.com/download-226.html.

28. Hi Sathish,

I was trying to switch my MIUI from 5-6 where I have wiped out completely, say the internal storage too by mistake. Now I have no OS in my redmi.

Please do let me know will the above procedure can help me in getting back my phone running.

Also if any other solution too please do provide.

Thanks for understanding

Yeah, you can do that.

30. Hi
    I did all procedure as mentioned above
    But unfortunatelly my mobile got stuck @ reboot from last 2 hrs

now wht should i do

31. rajesh jangid says:

when i install custom rom on redmi 1s i forget to intall cwm recovery so what i do to back into original rom and how to install cwm via pc

32. in my mobile……they displaying one error…. …..unfortunately,the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped….what can i do..and how to fix that problem?

33. It means that the Gapps in your mobile isn’t working properly. Reinstall it again!

34. Shubham Saini says:

i followed your steps but my phone is not converted in kitkat 4.4 plz help me

35. Eshwar Tanneru says:

Well I have upgraded it to miui6 kiktkat and now I want to downgrade to jellybean miui5 as th ebattrey is not giving much life I have update.zip file so what is the process to downgrade please

36. I want get back to my Redmi 1s os from cm11. Can any one give me the link to download original redmi 1s ROM.

37. shubham saini says:

Hey I install this but after install this I can’t call anybody from 2 and sim plzz resolve my problem

38. how to install ,,,,that gaps….? can please tell me…..

39. Get it from XDA Forum and flash it via FASTBOOT mode.

You can get it from the MIUI Forum. Go to Google, type MIUI forum, go to the first result and search there. You will get it.

41. Just download the MIUI 5 from MIUI forum and flash it using the FASTBOOT mode.

42. i installed it directly now its taking 3 hrs still not completing…………………..
    pls help

43. Hey I have installed cynogenmod plz guide me how to get the Google play services back
    In cunogenmod

44. Ramanarayan says:

Sorry to distrub you.

I have updated the cyanogen mod in my redmi 1s.
    But forget to install CWM recovery v6.0.4.5.
    Now I am unable to update google application i.e. the 2 nd option given here.
    Also i am unable to load any apps from internet.

What will i do now.
    Can i restore it to jelybean again.
    please mail me how to make it jelybean or give me solution for update google application & let me know how i ll store my back up data again
    plz plz plz…… i m so tensed

Just follow the same procedure as given here for flashing MIUI ROM (get it from MIUI forums). Once done, repeat the process but install CWM recovery this time.