How To Partition The Memory Card And Increase Internal Memory Of Android Phone

Android smartphones are the widely used smartphones among people these days. More than hundred thousand apps are available in the Android Market and Google Play Store. Since, the android phones have limited internal memory you cannot use all these apps on your phone.

But you can overcome this problem by increasing the internal memory of your android smartphone. By partitioning the external memory card of your device, it is possible to use the same as an internal memory with the help of link2SD app and memory card partition.

Although several methods are available for partitioning the memory card, using ClockworkMod recovery is more efficient and works on any android phone.

increase internal memory of Android Phone

1.To proceed with the process you need to root your android smartphone. In case, if you are not sure whether your android phone is rooted or not, just download the ‘Root Checker‘ app from the Google Play Store. If it is not rooted, then root your android phone instantly by following the tutorial’s given here in our website.

2.Next, backup all your data’s available on your android smartphone, as the partition process will wipe it all.

3.Next download and install the Link2SD app from the Google Play Store on your phone.

4.As I have already said, this procedure requires the ClockworkMod recovery and you must have it installed on your android device. Try to install the latest version of the ClockworkMod recovery.

5.Finally, check the battery percentage level of your android phone and make sure it is not less than 75%. If it is less, then charge your phone fully or up to 75%.

Disclaimer : Follow the given below procedure at your own risk. If anything wrong happens to your device, we would not be held responsible.

Procedure to Partition The Memory Card:

1.First switch off your android phone and boot it into recovery mode by following any method or by using the key combination.

2.The Touch doesn’t work in most of the Clockworkmod recovery, so use home button for selection and volume buttons for navigation.

3.Then choose the “advanced option” and then go to partition SD card.

4.After that, select the ext size (Make sure it is less than your memory card size).

5.The SD Card partition will begin and it will take some time. So, wait until the process is finished.

6.After that choose the +++++ Go Back +++++ option and reboot your device.

Instructions To Increase Internal Memory Of Android Phone With Link2SD:

1.You have done the partitioning of SD card. So, now it’s time to download and install the latest version of the app. (In case, if you not installed the app previously as I have said in the prerequisites).

2.Next grant the superuser permission for the Link2SD app.

3.After granting the superuser permission, it will ask you to select the file system of your second partition. Just, choose the select ext2 format as given in the below picture.

Internal Memory-Partition

4.Once you confirmed the file system, it will ask you to restart your android phone. So, do it instantly.

increase-internal memory-restart device

5.Once your phone is restarted, again open the Link2SD app and select the filter option and choose the “On Internal” option as given in the below picture.

increase-internal-memory-of-android-mobile

6.Once you chosen that option it will show the apps from the internal memory.

7.Select the options > Multi select. Finally choose the applications that you want to move to the internal memory.

8.Now, again choose the action and then create the link. Choose all the three options i.e Link application file, Link dalvik cache file and Link library files and tap OK.

internal memory-create link

9.It will take some time to create the link to this partition. Once it was created press OK. That’s it! all your applications will be moved to this partition.

10.In order to link every new app that you will download to this partition, choose the options and then again choose auto link.

11.Hereafter, whenever you download the app either from the android market or from the Google Play Store it will get saved in this partition.

status of the partition

If you want to check the status of the partition memory select option > Storage info. Don’t remove the memory card from your android phone as your apps will be linked to the SD card and by removing it, you cannot access them.

That’s it. Now you have partitioned the SD card and used it to increase Internal memory of Android phone.

Share on Facebook46Tweet about this on Twitter21Share on Google+16Share on StumbleUpon3Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest14Buffer this pagePrint this page
About Sathish

Sathishkumar Varatharajan is a Internet Marketer and an avid Android addict. He has been using Android devices for the past four years and has plenty of experiences with rooting them. He will share all his experiences in the form of guides in here.

Comments

1. This SD card partition will be applicable for Samsung galaxy s7562 mobile….Please let me know, ASAP…

2. hello brother…i cant expand my mobiles ram memory…im using spice-mi437 model…can we boost ram memory for that device…???pls help me brother

3. hello,am using infinix buzz x260
    after rooting and using link2sd,i still suffer fro
    m low memory

4. What will happen if i remove the sd card and again insert it? Will all the apps that i installed in sd partition work again?

5. rezently,one of my friends said that by rooting, the phone would completly be destroyed itself and now i thinks that it may true,,,,is it true?will this happen?please,reply brother……

6. I do not get advance option

7. Hi satish, i’m usuing xolo Q1000 i have rooted it and flashed custom rom of samsung galaxy s4, so the problem is that out of 4 gb 2 gb is usuable memory for data and 1 gb is for the apps, so can i use that 2 gb memory for the apps( internal storage)
    Plz reply

8. Naresh Khera says:

Hi ! Sathish

The procedure described above I want the same for a Blueberry Mini Java phone from spice.
    Can you help. Regards

NK

9. Akash Malajpure says:

hi, my father just bought me spice Mi 359. it’s almost price worthy. it has 256 MB RAM and 1.3 GHz dual core processor and I want to increase its RAM and internal storage. Can you please E-mail me a detailed guide to do so at akshmljpure@gmail.com. Please Reply soon.

10. There is no advanced option once booted into recovery, is there another way I can partition my internal storage, I have done it before but I don’t know where I found that guide from.

11. Hi..Bro. I bought Lava iris 400Q and it has 1gb RAM and 1.2GHz Quad core processor and I want to increase its RAM and internal storage. Can you please E-mail me a detail guide to do so at MavenaAeriesVal@gmail.com

12. Sir , when i tried to create link it says mounted error. What does that mean ?

13. Hae sir, Is these process can be available in 4.4.2 android phones?

14. how to delete this partition and get back to the previous normal state?

• I am not sure how to do it. I will let you know shortly.

• yes! please..i am waiting…

• jiten, well I’ve partitioned mine plenty of times already :) to undo it just go to recovery mode then wipe your delvik cache, data cache and factory reset. though it’ll remove all your apps and data but it’ll undo your partition :)

• 😮 but “wipe delvik cache, data cache and factory reset” is all about we operate with internal storage…
            we have the partition at the sd storage…so how’ll these undo the sd partition
            have u tried this ever??
            if yes, this is not a good choice…we have to find some another way to undo this

• Insert the microSD card in your device, go into system settings>storage and then scroll down to the bottom then select “erase SD card.” it says, it will erase everything, so make sure you have backed up anything you want to keep.

After erasing connect the SD card to computer and format. Done. :)

15. Is these steps is going to be working on sony xperia c

16. I installed the cwm on my mobile and I dont know how to open recovry mood in xperia c can u help plz

17. sachin sharma says:

how to get back this process

18. hello brother I am using Samsung galaxy 5360 model how to increase the internal memory plz help me brother

19. Tanver Abbas says:

after follow all procedure when i open link2sd to select the file system sd card 2nd partion ext2 ipress ext2 but im fasing this ( mount script erorcannot be created)

• Rod Padilla says:

i have the same problem. i repartitioned my sd card several times. i am using android one phone.

20. hello sir
    i am trying to root my micromax nitro a310 with kingo root application but it shows device not connected
    plz help.i had enabled USB debugging also.plz help

21. Dear sir, I have created partition on my 8gb sd card externally, using mini tool partition utility. 1024kb ext2 partition created. Using it with my android phone, I installed Link2SD. after install when opened it says “Mount script cannot be created. not allowed to su”. Untill and unless my my second partition is recognised nothing will goon. Can someone guide what should I do to correct?
    Thanks.
    Arya.

22. hi bro,how to remove the sdcard partition in my Samsung galaxy y

23. Vighneswar says:

after selecting ext size it asks swap size wat 2 do plzzz help

24. hello,
    i want to increase RAM in my newly bought INTEX AQUA STAR 5 model android phone.
    Is is possible to increase RAM in this model.
    if yes then what is the simple step for it?
    is there any way to partition the memory card outside the phone through card reader???
    if yes then pls guide. because i just bought this phone just before 25days. and it is in warranty(1 year) with microSD card with 5 year warrenty.

• Nope there is no way you can increase the RAM. Alternatively, you can increase the internal memory by following this method.

25. Nathaniel says:

HOw to root samsung galaxy fame

26. Hi Sathish, used Aparted from Google Play Store and partitioned SD card with ext2. I am able to create links for the applications but still when I go to Apps in Settings, they are using some MB’s. I have Plus version of Link2SD installed. Is it that there always be some MB’s in Internal Storage even after creating link, like Gmail takes about 7MB’s or I am missing something? Thanks.

27. Alex gonzales says:

hi sir. i have a lenovo a328.. my problem is i cant go to clockworkmod recovery.. can you help me please?

• Have you flashed CWM recovery? If you have done it, you will be able to access CWM. Or else, install CWM first and then try.

• Alex, you can try to install Aparted from Google Play Store (it worked for me) and format your card using it. Remember, it will DELETE EVERYTHING on the card to create new partitions, so be CAREFUL WHILE RUNNING IT.

28. Hi Mate,

I am using HTC wildfire s A510e
    1) In that i am not able to view hindi or marathi msg
    2) how can i increase the internal storage of the device
    help me with this two difficulties..

• Follow the tutorial given above to increase Internal memory. For viewing Hindi or Marathi messages, I will provide a solution shortly.

29. Hii,
    How Can I install apps in internal memory card

30. amit sharma says:

sir how to root my lava iris 400q please reply

31. Sir I am using repartition on my mobile MMX unite2 but increase app storage is well but my internal memory is not shown pls help me and my boot is stuck

32. Hello sir ! i have a Xolo Q900. you said that i ll need clockworkmod recovery installed but i didnt find it on the site. there are many compitable handsets in the list of the site but i never found xolo products. is there anything else recoverymod that i can use instead of clockworkmod?

33. mavinder singh says:

Their is no advanced option when I start my phone in recovery mode
    .karbonn a1+ duple

• I’m also facing the same problem on Samsung galaxy s dous 2. What should I do now? ? Sir plzz guide me.

34. m.selvaraj says:

will stock ROM increase the ram memory

35. hi..i have samsung galaxy y young. i have done this method and it sucxeasfully worked for me. bt when i did this method i selected 256MB space in partition memory card. Nw i want to increase ut to 1gb. can i follow the same process again to make it 1gb now?

36. Saumyadeep Chakraborty says:

Hallow sir,I am using micromax Canvas
    ELANZA2,how can I make partition that my I
    can install both of windows and android OS in
    the same device at same time?just like
    Personal Computers….Please reply…please…

37. Hi Satish i want to ask u that i want to play big hd games on my samsung s duos 2 so when i install them it takes a huge space on my internal coz there obb files r too large so when i link its apk to ext2 so it can read obb from there ? :/

38. sandeep rai says:

how to increased karbonn A2+ rom 212 mb to 512 mb ya 1 gb …………………… please answer me as soon as possible……………………….

• Sathish says:

You can’t improve the RAM. You can only increase the internal memory of your device by following this tutorial.

39. Excellent tutoring here Sathish!… I just stumbled upon your site.. Pls can u help me fix a problem? Four days I rooted my Techno N7 using kingroot. Now the phone hangs and freezes then heat up rapidly. Pls what can I do?

• Sathish says:

Rooting won’t cause those issues. Must be something else. Have you installed any apps after rooting? If yes, try to uninstall them.

40. Ashwamegh says:

Hello ,

I had successfully rooted my phone and it worked fine! But, suddenly , after a few days, my apps stopped working , so I restarted my phone and now I when I go in Link2SD and select ext2 then it says “Argument invalid ; Card can’t be mounted” . What to do? Please reply ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

41. Sir, i hv a mmx unite2 4 gb rom, i hv successfully root my mobile with Kingroot & nw using Link2sd for moving my apps. But unfortunately Link2sd shows that ur sd parttion is not mounted. I hv already create a partition of my sd card with ext2 format. Bt not working. What can i do for dat? Pls give me solutions….??

42. ravikant thawait says:

Works well in my s duos… only issue is recovery mode. Whenever i want to boot in cwm i have to run odin in download mode then after odin gives PASS message i have to remove battery before it restarts my mobile. Else it goes to stock recovery. Can i fix this.. please help me sathish. Thanks for the tutorial.

43. Raj Velani says:

Hie sir,
    If we partition the sd card then it is possible that all data from sd card will be lost

44. Dear,
    I am using Micromax doodle a102 model set and interesting to know how to format the SD card from the phone.
    Your immediate action in this regard is highly appreciated.

• To format your SD card, take it out from the device, insert it into a computer using card reader, right click and do quick format.

45. i have rooted my tab and i am facing problems such as

low battery life. my battery is 5000 mah but gets over within 1 hour.and i cant copy files from my computer to my sd card or internal memory
    please someone help me to unroot my tab

46. Hi Satish,

I have samsung S6312, which gives me trouble with the battery. Phone when connected with charger was working fine but giving HEAT problem near the charging section.

The main problem is, even if we insert a FULLY CHARGED battery, after the boot, the screen shows an error CONNECT CHARGER and if we connect the charger, it will start from 3% (even if it is fully charged upto 100% with external chaeger).

This is the exact problem and I want to know the solution for this.

Thanks
    Murthy

47. mohsin Shajapurwala says:

After creating link to ext2 if i remove my memory card what will happen??

48. Ariz Alam says:

I am unable to partition my sd card with clockworkmod 6.0.4.6 in LG optimus one P500 android version kitkat of cm11….plz plz help me

49. After i did link2sd card partition my music library goes empty as well my gallery too so i had to open each file from “my files” folder please help me out with this problem and even i cant install google play services it always show “application not installed”

50. chandrakant Bhat says:

i am using Zolo Q 3000 after going i clockworkmod recovery(Program Installed :1click restart) i am not getting Advanced Option .Options available in recovery are:
    1.reboot system now
    2.apply update from ABD
    3.apply update from sdcard
    4.apply update from SD card2
    5.apply update from cache
    8.wipe data /factory reset
    9.wipe cache partition
    10.backup user data
    11.restore user data

please help in this regard.

51. jagpreet says:

i have installed kitkat on galaxy y duos as u told nd now wants to partitiate memory card 16 gb.
    1. is it to format before partitioning nd how much it will free nd if can’t format it then what happen ?
    2. how to install CWM nd the zip file downloaded while installing kit kat will work here nd what is the procedure ?
    plz help us by A video tutorial…..thnq

52. I have iball andi 4di how can I root my mobile..
    I used kingo Root but it doesn’t work.

Plz help me..

53. Praveen says:

Hy satish! Thanx for this great solution. I have tried it on my micromax canvas 2 plus a110q. It worked. But i have some problems
    1.some apps are getting idle like whatsapp, Internet speed meter lite, aviate launcher means I don’t get whatsapp notification in my phone but when I check it, all msgs comes simultaneously. I am using clean master too which has a option to control autostart of apps. Please suggest
    2.when I try to link an app to SD card by link2sd,only one or two file types can be checked. All three types can not be checked. Tell me why I am facing such problems?

54. Hey I am using a tecno phantom z mini which does not support ext card so is there any other way to increase the internal memory

55. Kim Kim says:

What if my device is not supported wih ClockworkMod recovery, is there a problem with that?

56. i have a buy a link2sd app or a free version works to do partition on sd card.

tell me its urgent. Frend.

my mail id is :-roking.harish89@gmail.com

57. ashik s kumar says:

My phone is micromax ad4500.
    I like to increase my Ram and to root my device.I have 16gb memory card,and most likely i want to run asphalt 8 on my android.wish u would look on my request,plz.

58. Wallinggod says:

Hello brother thanks for the procedure and the detailed info to increase my internal memory but I want to make sure whether my files and data in my memory card will get erased during the procedure and should I download the CWM from the net or other source? my phone model is Micromax A190..please reply!! thank you.!!!!

59. chandrakanth Bhat says:

1.reboot system now
    2.apply update from ABD
    3.apply update from sdcard
    4.apply update from SD card2
    5.apply update from cache
    8.wipe data /factory reset
    9.wipe cache partition
    10.backup user data
    11.restore user data

please help in this regard.

60. DoomAlpha says:

Hey Sathish.. I know how to go to recovery mode but ClockWorkMod… idk how to do that. Please help me. And if ClockWorkMod is recovery mode, I can’t find “advanced” anywhere.

61. Ravi Pandey says:

Dear Sathish,

I am using Micromax Unite 2 (8 GB ROM) since last 10 months, recently i updated my phone in lolipop version, now i am facing application storage problem. All time the massage shows insufficient memory. Please help!

62. Is this process same for MICROMAX UNITE 2 A106 UPDATED WITH LOLLIPOP. dO TELL ME, THE PROCESS SAID IN http://www.androidrootguide.com/2015/02/root-micromax-unite-2-a106.html is applicable for micromax unite 2 A106 updated with lollipop… thanks in advance

63. how to partiotion of 8GB memory card means which fucntion we have to select fat 32 or ext2 and how mch space we have to give in each part for 8GB card plzzz help

64. srikanth says:

HI satish thank u for posting this can u please post Data related to rooting samsung s duos 1

65. everything happened perfectly but still can’t download new applications, I chose a partition of 2 gb on a 8 gb card, please help me

66. J.D. SOUNDARARAJAN says:

Excellent guide for increasing the storage space of the smart phones. Thank Mr. Sathish.

67. kamran owais says:

Sir, i created partition in sd sard successful but in link2sd afyer selecting ext2 it shows script cannot b mounted: device not found . and i don’t see now a recovery mode when i switch off n use volume + – n power button . after selecting volume up it shows only black light n then off .. Please help me with the same

68. i check my device by root checker, it said my device is not a root device, so what i can do now?

69. amogh joshi says:

Hi … I had flashed TWRP while rooting so can I proceed to Link2SD with TWRP itseld or should I specially flash CWM … I am running on 5.1 Lollipop Moto E